A couple of months ago I bought this LARGE antique neon sign at Architectural Salvage in San Diego.
I was looking for an unconventional item to use as a light fixture over my new outdoor table from Frontgate
The sign is an old and rusty neon sign that is 8 feet long. The store employee told me it was double sided, and since I couldn’t see the other side being that it was against the wall, I took their word for it. And technically it is, but not exactly. Since the sign is so large and heavy, I wasn’t able to thoroughly check it out until they delivered it a week later. That is when I actually got to give it the good once over. I still loved it, in all it rusty goodness, but the other side looks nothing like the side I saw in the store.
There is a trace of the word “antiques” on the other side, but barely. So I have been hand painting the letters back on the sign.
I wasn’t sure how I was going to make the letters look old and rusty like the other side. I started with the “a” and the “n” and used white acrylic paint, which was probably not the best choice. I lightly sanded the area first but didn’t bother to put on a primer or rust inhibitor before painting. Totally winging it as I went along.
The next day when I went out to continue painting the other letters, and the rust had already started to show through my freshly painted letters. Woohoo. I was never so happy to see rust! But then it kept rusting, more and more. Not good. So I went with plan “b” and bought a quart of Rustoleum white paint and painted over the letters again
The rust still shows through on the letters, but I am hoping that the Rustoleum will keep it at bay. Like I said, totally winging it, so only time will tell.
I only have two letters to go, and the blue highlighting around the letters. Even though I haven’t finished, the process of making it into a non neon light fixture is in progress. In this picture we were deciding on whether to use clear or amber LED. I choose amber, the one on the “I”.
The new metal piece for the bottom is already cut and painted. I am hoping to have it finished and hung by this weekend. Unless the rust takes over my letters and then I have to go with plan “c”. Which I have no idea what that is…so keep your fingers crossed. If you follow me on Facebook, I am sure you will see a picture of it hanging before I get around to posting it here.